The MSc in Hospitality and Tourism Management Programme is being offered by the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Economics of the University Center of International Programmes of Studies of the International Hellenic University. The programme provides expertise in tourism with a practical orientation related to management and strategic issues in the fast-evolving tourism sector at the national and international level. Greece provides the ideal place to study Hospitality and Tourism and more specifically, Thessaloniki, which has been at the crossroads of many different cultures and a student metropolis. The courses are taught exclusively in English.
The IHU MSc in Hospitality and Tourism Management is designed to:
- Enable students to acquire the expertise and develop the skills for the acquisition and application of integrated solutions for the effective management of tourist enterprises in a highly competitive international environment with an emphasis on the management and economic activity of the tourist industry as well as environmental issues related to the tourism sector.
- Develop skills and expertise targeted at effective decision-taking and critical assessment of issues concerning management in the specific sector and also to provide practical orientation related to management and strategic issues in the fast-evolving tourism sector at the national and international level.
- Enable students to acquire the knowledge required for the strategic planning of enterprises and organisations concerning their compliance with environmental legislation; in general teach them how to minimize the environmental impact of their operation on the environment through voluntary activities.
- Enhance students’ self-awareness and self-confidence through the acquisition of knowledge and practical skills in disciplines related to tourism management.
- The terms with the core courses aim to lay solid analytical foundations in all areas related to hospitality and tourism. During the electives period, students are encouraged to deepen their knowledge and specialise in more specific areas, through four courses. A choice of a dissertation or a consulting project concludes the programme.
Some interesting points
Tourism | one of the fastest growing industries in the world
The tourism industry is becoming extremely important to most countries’ economic growth. Tourism creates and sustains jobs, brings new business, and contributes to the quality of life, which constitutes the key to development and prosperity. According to the World Tourism Organization, International tourism is expected to increase by 3.3% per year in the period between 2010 and 2030.
Greece | the ideal place to study Hospitality and Tourism
Steadily and traditionally recognized as one of the most popular leisure destinations, Greece provides the ideal place to study Hospitality and Tourism as you can find every type of tourist facility, a rich cultural heritage, some of the most stunning beaches in the world, and impressive mountain ranges. According to SETE, the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises, and the World Travel &smp; Tourism Council, Greek tourism contributes 16.3% to GDP and is expected to employ nearly 850,000 people by 2024.
Thessaloniki | a World Heritage City with a large student community
Recognized by UNESCO as one of the most important cities in the history of mankind, Thessaloniki combines a fresh, dynamic outlook with a leading international reputation. Home to Greece’s largest student population, Thessaloniki qualifies as a student and cultural metropolis. Built between the sea and the mountain, Thessaloniki has been at the crossroads of many different cultures, constituting a truly cosmopolitan city in South-East Europe. The growth and diversity of the tourism industry has driven companies and organisations to seek out and hire skilled, dynamic, flexible and international-oriented managers.
Official Government Gazette:
Re-establishment PDF (in Greek)
Regulation PDF (in Greek)
Start date: November 2021
15 October 2021 extended until 29 October 2021 at 15:00 or until places are filled
Campus: Thermi, Thessaloniki
Duration/Mode: 2 years part-time/weekdays evenings either face-to-face or by distance learning or a combination of both
Recognition and Partnerships: The programme runs under the auspices of the Greek Tourism Confederation (SETE) and forges partnerships with the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
Taught language: English
Entry requirements: An undergraduate degree from a recognised University
Language requirements: IELTS (academic 6.5 and above), TOEFL (IBT, 90 and above) or TOEIC (850 and above) score, or a recognised by the Greek State certificate of proficiency in English
Fees: 5,000€ (total)
How to apply:
Programme announcement (en+gr)
MSc in Hospitality and Tourism Management
I had the opportunity to extend my networking within the hospitality sector and explore possibilities for future cooperation.