Dr. V. Aschonitis is an Agricultural Engineer specialized in Soil and Water Management in Agriculture. He holds a PhD in Water Resources Management and Agricultural Engineering, a PhD in Environmental Biology, MSc in Water Resources Management, MSc in Soil Resources Management. He works as researcher in the Soil and Water Resources Institute of the Hellenic Agricultural Organization – DIMITRA in Thessaloniki (Greece). He has 60 articles published in international SCI-indexed journals, 3 books and more than 70 contributions to other published scientific material (articles in non-SCI indexed journals and conference articles). He is an awarded reviewer of 51 international journals and Editor in Plos One journal (https://publons.com/researcher/704564/vassilis-aschonitis). His scientific activities cover subjects such as crop modelling, hydrology, agrometeorology, soil physics, soil-water chemistry, environmental-ecological modeling, hydrobiology, ecological indicators, and Geographical Information Systems. He has participated in one European project, 2 post-doc projects in Italy and 5 national projects in Greece, which are all relevant to water and soil resources management in agriculture.
Recent selected papers
- Iatrou, M., Karydas, C., Iatrou, G., Pitsiorlas, I., Aschonitis, V., Raptis, I., Mpetas, S., Kravvas, K., Mourelatos, S., 2021. Topdressing nitrogen demand prediction in rice crop using machine learning systems. Agriculture (Switzerland), 11 (4), art. no. 312.
- Christopoulou, N., Chatzistathis, T., Papatheodorou, E.M., Aschonitis, V., Monokrousos, N., 2021. The crucial role of soil organic matter in satisfying the phosphorus requirements of olive trees (olea europaea L.). Agriculture (Switzerland), 11 (2), art. no. 111, pp. 1-14.
- Demertzi, K., Pisinaras, V., Lekakis, E., Tziritis, E., Babakos, K., Aschonitis, V., 2021. Assessing annual actual evapotranspiration based on climate, topography and soil in natural and agricultural ecosystems. Climate, 9 (2), art. no. 20, pp. 1-16.
- Gaglio, M., Aschonitis, V., Castaldelli, G., Fano, E.A., 2020. Land use intensification rather than land cover change affects regulating services in the mountainous Adige river basin (Italy). Ecosystem Services, 45, art. no. 101158, .
- Babakos, K., Papamichail, D., Tziachris, P., Pisinaras, V., Demertzi, K., Aschonitis, V., 2020. Assessing the robustness of pan evaporation models for estimating reference crop evapotranspiration during recalibration at local conditions. Hydrology, 7 (3), art. no. 62, pp. 1-17. Tziachris, P., Aschonitis, V., Chatzistathis, T., Papadopoulou, M., Doukas, I.J.D., 2020. Comparing machine learning models and hybrid geostatistical methods using environmental and soil covariates for soil pH prediction. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 9 (4), art. no. 276, .
- Demertzi, K., Papadimos, D., Aschonitis, V., Papamichail, D., 2019. A simplistic approach for assessing hydroclimatic vulnerability of lakes and reservoirs with regulated superficial outflow. Hydrology, 6 (3), art. no. 61.
- Gaglio, M., Aschonitis, V., Pieretti, L., Santos, L., Gissi, E., Castaldelli, G., Fano, E.A., 2019. Modelling past, present and future Ecosystem Services supply in a protected floodplain under land use and climate changes. Ecological Modelling, 403, pp. 23-34.
- Aschonitis, V.G., Lekakis, E., Tziachris, P., Doulgeris, C., Papadopoulos, F., Papadopoulos, A., Papamichail, D., 2019. A ranking system for comparing models’ performance combining multiple statistical criteria and scenarios: The case of reference evapotranspiration models. Environmental Modelling and Software, 114, pp. 98-111.