This module will establish a working knowledge of programming language for finance and its practical application in the context of Fintech. The module does not assume any prior knowledge of programming experience. Programming is one of the most precious skills in the world of finance, and programming languages are used to organize and visualize data to provide actionable insights, create desirable data forms and essential outputs to support business requirement documents. Programming has become an industry standard and is widely used to produce innovative financial products and services. This module rapidly develops programming skills for financial calculations and financial data analysis, with a focus on practical application. Participants will learn the essential skills required to make the most of programming opportunities, and gain a comprehensive understanding of the programming concepts, as well as practical experience in some of the core data analysis libraries used in programming languages.
Students will be able to:
- identify the importance of computational programming fundamentals and the role that programming plays in a FinTech context
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of fundamental, and domain-specific, analytics methods and tools.
- understand fundamentals of object-oriented programming
- import and process data using programming language
- familiarise with functions for data manipulation, visualisation and statistical analysis
- critically analyse the use of data within a business context, identifying strengths and limitations
- be confident writing and testing procedural and functional programmes
- use technologies to source, process and communicate information, and thus enhance levels of technological and digital literacy.
- Introduction to solving problems using software programming
- Programming functions and control structures
- Sequences and iteration
- Data types and structures
- Data manipulation