The aim of this module is to enable students understand the linkage between financial technology (FinTech) and Innovation, especially due to the fact that FinTech is rapidly changing the financial services industry. The module illustrates the effect of Fintech on lending activities (P2P lending, crowdfunding) and credit evaluation tools (big data, machine learning and artificial intelligence tools), investment activities (trading and robo-advising), payments (crypto currencies and new payment tools), insurance (InsureTech). In final, the module analyses the topic of ethics and regulation of Fintech.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
- have a systematic overview about technology innovations and their application in banking and finance;
- comprehend the contribution provided by complex technology advances (as artificial intelligence and machine learning) to the assessment of a borrower’s credit standing;
- be able to accurately and critically evaluate the pros and cons of robo-advising and new investment tools
- have a sound understanding of cryptocurrencies and new payment services;
- understand the functioning and contribution provided to non-financial corporation alternative lending, as P2P lending, crowdfunding;
- be familiar with Ethical and regulatory issues in FinTech.
- Fintech innovation and financial markets
- Digital currencies and their role in financial systems
- Risk transfer and blockchain
- Initial coin offerings
- Trading and regulation of cryptocurrencies and cryptoassets
- Fintech, financial intermediation and peer-to-peer lending
- Cryptocurrencies and other digital asset investments
- Fintech and regulatory issues