The course provides students with a clear understanding of the basic concepts of modern biology and biotechnology necessary for evaluating Biosafety and Bioethical (ethics) issues related to human and animal health and the environment. Students will study the biotic and abiotic environmental factors, and they will reflect on the complex issue of sustainable development and its dimensions – environment, economy and society.
Specifically, the following topics will be discussed:
- Life (from molecules to societies, evolving biological systems),
- Environment (Definition, Species, Ecosystems, Biosphere),
- Abiotic factors, – The Molecular Biology of the Environment (molecular ecology),
- System Biology, Biodiversity, Genetic Modification, Relative Techniques to Genetic Modification,
- Sustainable Development, the three dimensions (Environment, Economy, and Society).