Modelling and Simulation of Building Integrated Solar Energy Systems
|Teaching Hours and Credit Allocation:||30 Hours, 6 Credits|
|Course Assessment:||Exam & Coursework|
The course is offered by IHU School of Science and Technology in the frame of the DAAD-funded collaboration program with Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH).
The course aims to provide advanced understanding of solar thermal and PV energy systems and their integration in the built environment. Analytical methods for system components dimensioning and strategies for system operation and control, in order to build the skills required in the design of solar systems will be explained in detail.
The course covers the following topics:
- Solar thermal systems design
- PV systems design
- The solar loop: low-flow and high-flow systems
- Collector fields: hydraulic balancing, orientation, series and parallel connection, shadowing
- Financial evaluation of solar projects
- Simplified design method: F-Chart
- Modelling and simulation tools
- Transient simulation of solar thermal systems for hot water production and space heating
- Worked-out examples of solar system simulations: dimensioning, control strategy implementation, operation optimization
- John A. Duffie & William A. Beckman, Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, Editor: John Wiley & Sons, 2006